For Release: 06-23-2015
Prepared By: Det. Nancy Willis
Craigslist Caper Preys In Raytown & 10 Tips To Avoid Being a Target
Raytown, MO – Raytown Police are currently investigating several robberies that have manifested from Craigslist meetings within the last month. Each meeting was in the late evening hours between 8:00 pm and 10:00 pm. Each meeting was to buy/sell electronics and each meeting was in a parking lot. Agreements were made between the buyer and seller to meet to exchange the property for money. The buyers were described as two black males in their late teens. A gun was displayed at two of the robberies while physical force was used during the third.
Raytown Police are encouraging its residents to be proactive when meeting with potential Craigslist buyer/sellers by following a few simple tips.
- Trust your instincts.
- Don’t go alone.
- Insist to meet at a public place such as a police department.
- Do not meet in a secluded area.
- Do not invite strangers into your home, and do not go to theirs.
- Be cautious when buying/selling high value items.
- Perform the transaction during daylight hours.
- If it sounds too good to be true, it normally is.
- Tell a friend or family member about your intentions.
- Take your cell phone with you.
Raytown Police Chief James Lynch is offering the parking lot of the Police Station, 10000 E. 59th Street, as a meeting place for those interacting in Craigslist transactions. If you have any information on the Craigslist robberies please call 816-474-TIPS (8477).